Thurston Middle School Mission Statement
At Thurston Middle School our mission is to ignite a passion for learning in all students through a rigourous, well-rounded, exploratory curriculum. Each student gains the knowledge, experience, world perspectives, and skills needed to become a lifelong learner and producer in a competitive and interconnected world.
Thurston Middle School is committed to an integrated educational program that provides every student with the opportunity to experience:
- A rich, thinking-meaning-learning-centered curriculum and educational environment.
- A common core of academic classes which integrate the common skills and themes of each subject area, and which prepare them to experience future academic and career choices.
- A diverse curriculum of exploratory and elective courses designed to enrich and broaden the learning opportunities for all students.
- A technologically enriched environment, which allows the development of independent learners who can analyze and manipulate technology in addition to being a consumer.
- Instruction designed to stimulate critical thought, problem solving, moral reasoning, aesthetic judgment, use of the scientific method, effective communication, and teamwork.
- Opportunities for each student to have equal access to appropriate curriculum and materials.
- An environment which is sensitive to individual differences and provides support for the academic and social success of each student.
- Effective Behavior Support with a focus on S.M.A.R.T. (Solve your problems, Make good decisions, Achieve, Respect, There and ready).